Dec 12, 2008

Lemony Lessons: Climbing the pyramid



Many of you are probably familiar with the Chinese proverb: Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, and you feed him for life. One of my favourite business/self-help writers/speakers, Stephen Covey takes it a step further and suggests that if we create a generation of teachers of fishing, we will lift all of society. And, I believe that!



I also believe that many of the existing government programs that support those who live in poverty do so by “giving fish”. These programs deal with the symptoms: hunger and homelessness (among others). Don’t get me wrong, of course we need to deal with these symptoms otherwise we’d be faced with not only people in poverty but people who are dying from starvation and exposure to the elements (which I recognize happens in many other countries). Now, I’m not a psychologist and I don’t pretend to be, but I will wager that those who live at the poverty level are likely, psychologically speaking, at the bottom end of
Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.

And I believe that with all good intentions, those government programs I am referring to were built – at least in part – to respond to those “deficiency needs” shown at the bottom of the pyramid.

I’d like to “throw something out there”… Might it be possible to work through the pyramid rather than step by step? (Yup; I sure did just question Mr. Maslow, the Father of Modern Management Psychology.) Here’s what I’m thinking: Instead of these government programs focusing solely on giving the physiological needs to those living in poverty, why wouldn’t we expand the focus into teaching how to get those needs on their own? That way, people can become self-sufficient rather than continually relying on others.

I can appreciate that some of these programs might already exist but I would question their accessibility. And I can appreciate that some people might question the time required and cost involved in “hand-holding” some of the people to access these teaching/learning programs if we want to move them from dependency to self-sufficiency. But, if we spend the extra effort now to make a real difference, we might actually be able to reduce the problem significantly. Who knows? Maybe one day we can actually eliminate poverty – like so many governments, world-wide, have committed to doing!

I believe that if we could build a culture where teaching and learning combine to drive people to self-sufficiency, we will see a world where the intensity of poverty begins to lighten. I believe that the teachers, who are likely higher (psychologically speaking) on the Pyramid will find themselves “self-actualizing” and that the learners will find themselves striving for higher levels with each new lesson they can take away. We could actually expand hope.

I remember being a kid and learning to ride my bike. I don’t think there was anything more exciting than showing everyone that I could do it on my own! The sense of pride that I actually learned to do something by myself was amazing. It was that feeling – remembering that feeling – that made me want to learn the next thing. What I’m driving at is that if we can learn one thing and feel good about it, we’ll likely want to learn one more… This new cycle continues until learning becomes a habit. And from the lessons come growth, self-sufficiency, pride and self-respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment