Dec 8, 2009

Challenge: let's get the books to Tanzania



So, we are trying to get 350 books to Arusha, Tanzania for the students of Shepherds Junior. Why, you ask? Well, between November 24 & 26 - in 48 hours - a global online community participated in an event named: Tweetsgiving. In the first 3 hours of the event, we raised over $10K for the school... and we managed, throughout the event, to generate enough to build a cafeteria for Shepherds Junior.

Prior to the event, I had the luxury of watching a streaming video with Mama Lucy (@MamaLucy, Lucy Kamptoni), the founder of the school. She spoke of the hope this school brought to Arusha, to the kids, to the families. She explained some of the struggles - few of which we could imagine. One mention that truly inspired me was the need to read...

I had such an amazing time participating in the Tweetsgiving challenge and learning. I rallied up some friends who are authors to donate some books to the students. We will have 350 copies of the book "The Circle" shipped to Tanzania (from Toronto, Canada).

Now, I have a challenge...

The shipment of these books will cost approx $750. That doesn't include insurance and taxes for the shipment.

I've set a target of $1000 so that we can cover the costs. If there are any funds left, I will donate them to December's 12for12K charity (fighting homelessness).


I hope you guys can help! If you'd like to... simply click "Chip In" right here.



Thanks so much!

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

No comments:

Post a Comment