Nov 11, 2009

Lest we forget


I am one of THOSE people. One of the cheesy people who, on a day like Remembrance Day, tries to learn one more piece of history (usually Canadian, because I am) about what war time(s) was (were) like – and, in particular WWI and WWII.

Personally, my family tree was touched by the war – as, essentially, everyone’s was. My grandparents were Eastern European Jews who left before it got crazy, but none-the-less, who I’m sure saw more and heard more than they wanted to hear and see. My grandfather, while in Canada, even enlisted to go to the front in WWII, but was refused due to the results of his physical. He was quite saddened by this – noting that some of his friends would go, many would never come back, and he would not have the chance to be by their side. (Though, selfishly, I must admit, I’m glad he didn’t...)

In the spring of 2000, I met Grant McCrae – son of John (
In Flander’s Field), and one of the pioneers of the Memory Project. It was a real honour to meet Grant and hear some of his stories. I recall Grant telling me about leading his team on a reconnaissance mission behind enemy lines, over Germany. They were shot down and taken prisoner. Yes – Grant was a POW; and a lucky one – he’s alive today to tell his story. When we met, Canada’s “Tomb of the Unknown Soldier” was announced, and would soon be placed alongside the Cenotaph in Ottawa, ON (at Elgin and Wellington). Grant was going to be present at the arrival of the soldier. He said: “When we were shot down, it was the last time I saw my best friend; this soldier will represent him for me.” (Yes, there were tears.)

Today, though we still fight wars to protect freedoms, we always remember on the 11th day of the 11th month, at the 11th hour. We remember brave men and women who died to protect our freedoms, and the freedoms taken away from others. Lest we forget.

We were given a gift – at a time when most of us were not even born yet... I know it’s corny to quote a movie, but those of you who may remember part of the closing scene in
Saving Private Ryan; let’s earn it.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment