Jan 25, 2009

Conductors & connectors


Would you like to know the results of poll #2? Well, 66% of you would have given up laundry detergent, 33% of you would have given up shampoo, and none of you would have given up soap or toothpaste!

If you haven’t already, I really recommend you take the
survey undertaken by the Daily Bread Foodbank; it’s quite insightful. You might be surprised what you say you’d live without and what you really can’t live without. Ah, the things we take for granted...

You know, one of the things I find interesting about our society as a whole – and, let me preface, this is my opinion only – is that we are really good, great in fact, at looking at problems and solving them. When faced with a crisis, our society comes together and, so it feels, makes miracles happen!

But, what happens when problems repeat themselves? I mean, with our ability to come together, we get really, really good at solving “chronic problems”! Perhaps we become more effective, more efficient. I wonder, however, if we could stop the issues from coming back in the first place?

Through this blog, I’ve shown (and will continue to show) a number of places, causes, societies, groups, and organizations that come together and help with food or shelter for people living in poverty. I call these people conductors; like the orchestra conductor. These people are in charge of the orchestra – they make music, the foundation of the show. Without the services they provide, many people would likely not be able to even start the day.

What our society is lacking is what I call connectors – the people in charge of linking the music with the entire show. (We have actors: you and I are part of the show, as well as the remainder of the 7 billion+ people who live on this planet.)

The world already has some great connectors:
Monarch School, the Harlem Children’s Zone, and Chris Gardner. I’m sure I have missed many... I will continue to research and bring more to you.

It is just in my humble opinion that we are much better at conducting the orchestra than we are at putting on a show. I suggest we take some steps forward. Over the course of this year, I intend not only to show conductors and connectors that already exist, but also show how we can actually become these people.

In the meantime, I’ll leave you with words from Mahatma Ghandi: be the change you want to see in the world... (And, here are
The Top Ten Things to Think About if You Want to Change the World.)

No comments:

Post a Comment